Beer Battered Catfish Po Boys with Red Pepper-Garlic Slaw and Sriracha Mayo is a flavorful dinner that the whole family will enjoy! This post is in partnership with Hampton Creek.
When I was growing up my family had a catfish restaurant, it was an all-you-can-eat restaurant and it was really good food. I had no idea how much I would miss it when it was gone. Luckily since moving back to Oklahoma we have lots of opportunities for fishing.
Earlier this summer, the guys caught a huge catfish, well huge in my book, it was like 20 lbs! We ate catfish for days and enjoyed every bite. I experimented with fixing it different ways and one of my favorites of course, was beer battered and deep fried. Oh yeah.
I had a nice catfish filet in the freezer and on Memorial Day I decided to fry it up. I made a simple batter for the catfish and deep fried it. I did the fish frying on the back porch for the first time. It was hotter than hades outside but my house did not smell of fried fish for days after! I will be doing that again!
We normally have fried catfish, slaw, hushpuppies and tarter sauce but I decided to change it up a bit just for fun. I made sandwiches but not like the drive-thru fish sandwiches.
I buttered and toasted whole wheat hoagie buns, piled them high with the beer battered catfish, topped it off with piles of Red Pepper-Garlic Slaw and then drizzled it all with a delicious Just Mayo Sriracha from Hampton Creek.
Cody declared it was the best thing he had ever put in his mouth. I love it when they say that. Actually, it was really amazing and something I will make again and again.
Our family loves sauces, mayonnaise, dressings and everything that falls into those categories. So I was more than happy to try out the new Hampton Creek Just Mayo. They sent three of the varieties (Garlic, Sriracha and Original) and my family was very impressed.
Tucker has been specially requesting “the orange sauce” as he calls the Just Mayo Sriracha for every sandwich. At 6 foot 3, he is a sandwich expert.
Hampton Creek is bringing healthier and affordable food to everyone,everywhere. I love it. I am dying to try their Just Cookies that are all natural and allergy friendly. Hampton Creek is on to something really good here, and I hope you will give them a try. Just Mayo is my new favorite and I know you are going to love it too.
Good news! Hampton Creek has a three pack of Just Mayo for one of you with the Garlic, Sriracha and Original Flavors.
Just enter on the widget below.
- 1 pound catfish filets, cut into 1 inch chunks
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons Mrs. Dash Seasoning
- ¾ cup beer (I used Bud Light)
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups slaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- ⅓ cup diced red pepper
- ⅓ cup Hampton Creek Just Mayo Garlic
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 whole wheat hoagie buns
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- Hampton Creek Just Mayo Sriracha
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, cornmeal, salt and Mrs. Dash. Whisk in beer until well combined and no lumps remain.
- Dip fish into batter and fry in batches for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Combine Just Mayo Garlic, sour cream, vinegar, sugar and salt together until smooth. Add slaw and red pepper and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Lightly butter the hoagie buns and toast lightly.
- Add fried fish to rolls and top with slaw and drizzle with Just Mayo Sriracha.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of Hampton Creek. I only share products that I really love and use in my own kitchen. All opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that help make this site possible.