Summer parties and barbecues are so much fun. Planning and throwing parties can also be somewhat overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. I have two new recipes, including my Mother-in-law’s Pimento Cheese Spread, plus links to a few more great recipes and some tips to alleviate some of the stress! The Fourth of July is just around the corner and it is one of my favorite days to have a big get together with family and friends. If you have tips or great party recipes, leave a comment, I would love to hear your ideas!
- Write it down. Lists are the best way to remember everything. From the guest list, to the menu, to the shopping list, write it down.
- Accept help. I like to do everything myself, but I always get offers for help and it will save your sanity if you accept help. Let people bring their signature dish and even if it’s just someone to bring the ice or napkins, it will help.
- Prepare ahead of time. This is a huge advantage, the more things you have ready the more relaxed the day of the party can be and the more fun you will be.
- Simple Decorations. Decorations can be simple and do not have to be expensive. Use things you have on hand like Mason jars filled with small rocks and paper flags (for July 4th), fresh flowers or silk flowers like sunflowers work great too.
- Paper Plates. Use disposable plates and glasses will ensure less dishes you have to wash later!
- Have Fun. Most important of all remember everyone is there for the visit, that is really the best part. Don’t sweat the small stuff, it doesn’t have to be a perfect day, just a fun day. (I never mop before a party, always after, no one will notice!)
I can’t put into words how good this Pimento Cheese Spread is, you are just going to have to trust me! My Mother-in-Law has been making this as long as my husband can remember and it is his favorite. Of course a lot of southerners eat it on a sandwich but our favorite is on buttery crackers like the Town House crackers pictured above.
Pimento Cheese Spread
- 1 pound American Cheese, grated (use a quality brand like Kraft)
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 4 oz jar pimentos (diced or minced)
In a large sauce pan, combine flour and sugar, stir in vinegar and slowly stir in evaporated milk. Stir in cheese.
Place sauce pan over low heat (if you cook over too high of heat it will curdle and will not be the smooth texture you desire). Stir constantly until cheese has melted. Cook three to five minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pimentos with juice. Place in a glass dish and cover with plastic wrap to prevent a film. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. Can be prepared a couple of days in advance. (I have kept pimento cheese in the refrigerator for up to a week. )
Serve with buttery crackers, such as Town House Original Crackers.
I love chicken salad, I mean love it. For some reason, I never make it. Town House Crackers was nice enough to send me some crackers in an Entertainment Kit with recipes and I knew I had to try this chicken salad, which I modified slightly for what I had on hand. It was a definite hit with the family and would be a great party appetizer. You will love how simple it is and how great it tastes! Next time I will double the recipe and serve it as a meal, it is that good!
Almond Chicken Salad on Town House Crackers
- 1 cup finely chopped, cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced grapes
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons seeded and finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 32 Town House Topper Original Crackers
In a medium bowl combine chicken, celery, grapes, onions, almonds, and jalapenos.
In a small bowl combine, mayo, sour cream, and garlic salt. Stir into chicken mixture and spoon on Town House Toppers Original Crackers when you are ready to serve.
(Be mindful that this chicken salad is mayonnaise based and take proper food safety precautions.)
Great Party Recipe Links
I hope this post inspires you and provides ideas to entertain without all of the stress! I was provided and Entertainment Kit from Town House Crackers, which included the pretty red platter, a recipe holder, recipes and of course Town House Crackers. I was not compensated for this post and all opinions are my own.
Visit www. snackpicks.com/townhouse for more recipe ideas.