Every once in a while my niece comes by for some help with her math homework. Not that I’m all that good at math but sometimes I can offer a little assistance. She stopped by one night this week and I invited her to stay for supper.
Then I went on and on about this idea for Peach Barbecue Chicken French Bread Pizza. She agreed that it sounded really good. She finished her homework and we went into the kitchen to cook. I was missing several key ingredients to make it happen. So I promised that when I made it I would make sure she got to try it and we made stir fry instead.
After a visit to the store I was ready to make some barbecue sauce, you know that’s kind of my thing. I love to get creative with sauces. Since we are on the verge of summer it isn’t quite time for garden fresh veggies and those wonderful fresh peaches that we all love so much.
Del Monte products have the same essential nutrients as fresh which makes it easy to incorporate full servings of fruits and vegetables into your meals.
I picked up a rotisserie chicken, a loaf of French Bread and along with Del Monte® fruits and vegetables this creative meal came together in a flash.
I needed dinner in a flash because it was a supper hectic day and there was still work to be done after we ate. Since it was such a hectic day my niece didn’t make it to my house for the pizza but I did keep my promise and sent half for her, my nephew and my sister-in-law to enjoy at their house.
The verdict from both houses was – DELICIOUS!
How about a Del Monte® gift pack for your own Peach Barbecue Chicken French Bread Pizza?
The gift pack will include:
- (1) can Del Monte® Cut Green Beans
- (1) can Del Monte® Diced Tomatoes
- (1) can Del Monte® Whole Kernel Corn
- (1) can Del Monte® Pear Halves
- (1) can Del Monte® Sliced Peaches
- 1 can strainer
- 1 apron
To Enter: Leave a comment and tell me what creative dish you would make for your family with the items in the gift pack.
For Bonus Entries:
- Follow Del Monte on Facebook
- Follow Del Monte on Twitter
- Share this recipe and giveaway on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Please leave a comment for each. Open to US residents, 18 years or older. Entries received through May 29th, 2013. Winner will be chosen at random.
- 2 15 oz cans Del Monte Lite Sliced Peaches, drained
- ½ cup Del Monte Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup diced red sweet pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- 2 cups Peach Barbecue Sauce
- 1 loaf French Bread
- 12 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs- I used a mix of parsley and basil
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Add drained peaches and tomatoes to a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or deep pan, add butter and place over medium heat. When butter has melted add onion, garlic and sweet pepper. Cook, stirring often until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add peach mixture to Dutch oven and stir to combine. Add chili powder, salt, liquid smoke and brown sugar. Stir until well combined and brown sugar has melted. Continue to cook over medium heat until it starts to bubble. Lower heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix chicken and 2 cups of Peach Barbecue Sauce together until well combined.
- Cut French Bread in half length-wise and place on a baking sheet. Top each half with 2 cups of barbecue chicken, spreading evenly.
- Top with cheese, fresh herbs and green onions.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and just starts to brown around the edges.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest about 5 minutes before slicing with a bread knife.
Disclosure: The Del Monte products, information and gift packs have been provided by Del Monte. I was provided with a gift pack for recipe development and funds for additional ingredients. I was not compensated for this post, all opinions are my own.