Lemon Sweet Rolls a nice twist on classic sweet rolls perfect for Christmas morning! This is a sponsored post on behalf of Bertolli.
When I bake sweet rolls they are generally of the cinnamon variety. I wanted to make something different for Christmas this year and I have been craving citrus goodies, so lemon it is! I am kind of a lemon fanatic and I knew I was going to love these. I wasn’t too sure how the guys would feel about cinnamon rolls without cinnamon.
I shouldn’t have worried, they loved them. These are the perfect treats for mornings with the family, especially Christmas morning. I love to have something for the kids to munch on while they are unwrapping presents and having the time of their lives with their new toys.
Plus these Lemon Sweet Rolls are pretty tasty with a cup of coffee. I made the dough with Bertolli Light Olive Oil, it is perfect for baking and a little healthier than my usual pound of butter concoctions.
Bake these Lemon Sweet Rolls the day before and pop them in the oven while the coffee is making Christmas morning and you will be set.
As usual I have been running around crazy trying to get everything done at the last minute. I am going to take the rest of the week and slow down to enjoy some quiet time with my family. I hope y’all have the best Christmas with your families!
Check out the other great baking posts from my Virtual Potluck Partners and enter to win a set of 3 bottles of Bertolli Olive Oil below the recipe.
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Bertolli Light Olive Oil
- 1 package yeast (I used Red Star Platinum)
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- zest of 2 lemons (I used meyer lemons)
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl add warm water, sugar, oil and yeast. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside about 5 minutes.
- Add egg and stir together. Add 2 cups of flour and stir together. Add salt and one more cup of flour and mix well. Add another 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour until dough pulls away from bowl.
- Pour onto a well floured surface and knead 5 minutes, adding additional flour as needed.
- Place in a well oiled bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Set aside to rise 30 minutes to 1 hour until dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Punch dough down to remove any air bubbles. Place on a well floured surface and roll into about a 9 x 12 inch rectangle.
- Spread with butter and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar. Sprinkle with lemon zest. Roll up from the long side, as tight as you can. Pinch the seam to seal.
- Cut into 1 to 2 inch slices and place in a well greased baking dish. Cover and allow to rise 15 to 30 minutes.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix glaze together and drizzle over sweet rolls.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Disclosure: This is a a sponsored post on behalf of Bertolli and they are sponsoring the giveaway. All opinions and text are my own.