What a week it has been. Trips to the doctor with sick kids, tackling the laundry and paperwork in between trying to make the kids feel better. Plus every night I wake up at 3:00 and think it’s time to get up. Who gets up at 3 in the morning? Certainly not me!
I made myself a little treat yesterday afternoon as a little pick-me-up to keep going, a nice Salted Caramel Macchiato. I couldn’t exactly run down to the Starbuck’s on the corner, since it’s an hour and a half away. Plus I had my favorite dulce de leche just sitting on the counter staring at me.
I had never made a Salted Caramel Mocchiato before, so I googled a few recipes, of course I didn’t have espresso, or caramel syrup or any fancy pants stuff like that. I concocted my own version out of coffee, milk and dulce de leche.
I was really craving a slice of Caramel Mocchiato Ice Cream Pie and that’s what gave me the inspiration for this coffee. So I sat down for 5 minutes with my Salted Caramel Mocchiato and did a little internet research on ways to stop a constant cough. I didn’t find anything new but I was getting desperate.
I got my reluctant little guy into a steamy shower and it did help. Have I mentioned that I can’t wait for Spring? I think when the weather dips down to 6 degrees one day and peaks at 58 the next, it doesn’t help our head and chest colds at all!
I’m pretty sure I am coming down with this crud that the children have, so I will be making this again today. For sure.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons dulce del leche caramel
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon caramel ice cream sauce
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- Heat milk and dulce de leche caramel in a microwave safe glass measure for 2 minutes or until hot and carmel is melted. Whisk together to combine.
- Add coffee and stir to combine.
- Pour into a large coffee cup and garnish with whipped cream, caramel and salt.
- Serve immediately.