The Healthy New Year Challenge for Virtual Potluck continues, this week is our main course, featuring Bob’s Red Mill Quinoa and California Olive Ranch Arbosana Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I have made quinoa a few times but it isn’t something that I have quite put it on the menu rotation. If you haven’t tried it yet, my fellow Virtual Potluck friends have some really creative and tasty dishes that you are sure to love. Be sure to check in at Groovy Foody for the full round-up and you won’t believe the recipe she came up with!
I make salmon croquettes ever so often and I thought I would try a variation with the quinoa. I used a mixture smoked salmon and cooked quinoa rolled in Panko bread crumbs that I browned in a little Arbosana Olive Oil and topped it off with a lemon-caper tartar sauce. I was really pleased with the results.
Once again I have a bottle of this fabulous California Olive Ranch Olive Oil & Bob’s Red Mill Grains to giveaway!
AND WE HAVE A WINNER! julie January 19, 2012 ”I follow virtual potluck on facebook”
- Visit either Bob’s Red Mill or California Olive Ranch’s Facebook pages and retrieve this week’s Virtual Potluck code word. Then use that code word in a sentence for your comment here.
- For an extra entry: Follow Bob’s Red Mill, California Olive Ranch and VirtualPotluck’s on Twitter and tweet the following, “Win A Healthy New Year Prize Pack from @Missnthekitchen, @CA_EVOO & @Bobs_Red_Mill http://wp.me/p1Xrnn-1yz #VirtualPotluck ” Leave a link back to your tweet here.
- Follow Virtual Potluck on facebook and leave a comment here that you do.
- Follow Miss in the Kitchen on facebook and leave a comment here that you do.
- Subscribe to Miss in the Kitchen by email or RSS.
- Entries will be accepted through January 25, 2012. US Entries Only.
Smoked Salmon Quinoa Patties with Lemon-Caper Tartar Sauce
- 12 oz smoked salmon, skin and bones removed
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (cooked according to package directions)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 3 cups Panko bread crumbs, divided use
- 1 cup Arbosana Olive Oil, divided use
for tartar sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon capers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dill
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- lemon slices for garnish
In a large bowl, shred smoked salmon, add eggs, Old Bay Seasoning, quinoa, 1 cup Panko, and 2 teaspoons olive oil. Stir until thoroughly combined.
Place remaining 2 cups of Panko into a shallow dish like a pie plate. Form salmon mixture into patties by gently pressing between the palms of your hands. Lightly press both sides of patties in Panko until lightly coated. Place onto a baking sheet.
Place in pan in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine tartar sauce ingredients in a small bowl, stirring to combine.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1/2 cup olive oil. When oil starts to sizzle place half of salmon patties into oil and brown on both sides about 4 minutes per side. Remove to paper towels to drain. Add a little more olive oil to skillet and fry remaining patties. Serve with tartar sauce and a squeeze of lemon.
Disclosure: I was provided the oil and grains for review, as always opinions are my own.